Total Pageviews

Thursday 11 November 2010

Meditating with Psalm 23

Having spent much of my teenage life in the rural middle belt of Nigeria herding, tending and guarding my father’s over 200 herds of cattle, I know what it is to be a good shepherd. A good shepherd is the one that is willing to lay down his life for the sake of his sheep. I knew each cattle by name. Each of them recognised me. They never felt threatened by my presence. They knew when I felt upset by their behaviour. I knew the ones that were stubborn and aggressive. I knew the ones that were tender. I knew how to build relationship with them. I cared for them and I did everything I could to protect and nurture each of them from the youngest to the oldest. I knew when and where to lead them out for grazing. I knew the best place to lead them for fresh running water to quench their thirst. I knew when to return them to their yard.

Each cattle had its own unique distinguishing characteristics. I knew very quickly whenever any of them showed any sign of distress. I had the responsibility to protect them against predators mostly snakes. I had a tender relationship with the young ones because of their fragility. For that reason, I kept close watch on each ensuring that they did not stray away. From the early morning, until evening, I guided them all through the forest, through rivers and low hills ensuring that they had the best chance of feeding on well nourished grasses and drank water from clean water from local streams.

The irony of all these was that they did not have to do anything. They simply knew that I would always be there for them, cleaning their sheds, protecting them and keeping them away from harm’s way, providing for them, and showing tenderness, understanding, tolerance, and warmth. The burden of looking after their welfare rested on me. They went wherever I led them to. They did whatever I wanted them to do. They obeyed me largely. I had a way of making them to comply with my instruction. That was why I always had my rod with me. That was my staff of authority over them. They knew the purpose. They knew I could be caring. They also knew that I could be tough on them if it became necessary. They just knew that I could never lead them to dangerous places. They trusted me to do whatever was right to keep them safe. I did not however take them for granted. I would never make them to do something that was not consistent with their nature. That was a great personal relationship built over many years of leading the cattle to and from green pastures.

They did not need to ask me for anything. They just got it. They did not need to work before they ate. They did not need to cry before I knew they were in distress. I just knew from the way I related to each of them individually. I cared less about my own safety as I felt secured in their midst. I could walk miles in the forest jungle with my cattle. I was not worried about anything except their welfare. Nothing bordered me. I thought about nothing other than seeing that all of them were taking out every morning, were properly fed, led to clean water to drink, and returned them to their sheds every evening unharmed.

Every evening, I would give the day account to my father. I would give him details of what happened. I would draw his attention to anything that I thought would need his urgent attention especially when it affected the wellbeing of any cattle. My father would thank me for the day’s job and would make me feel that I had done a great job for him and the family.

What did my experience as a shepherd boy teach me about the nature of God as a good shepherd? The level of care and attention that I paid to the safety and welfare of my cattle was infinitesimal compared to the level of care and attention that God pays to humankind. The key lesson for me in this type of relationship is that through my own biological father’s guidance, I chose to look after the cattle. They did not choose me. They had no say in my decision to become their shepherd. I passionately loved them and I demonstrated my love for them through the way I responded to their day-to-day needs.

In the same way, we did not choose God to be our Shepherd. He first chose us. He created humankind for His own purpose to be shepherds for one another. The relationship between the shepherd and the sheep must be rooted in love, an unconditional love that we can manifest through our individual selfless services to one another. That is the way to live life with meaning. That is what God intended for us. That is how to live a purposeful existence. If a shepherd cannot do that, he or she is not a good shepherd. What kind of a shepherd are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers