Total Pageviews

Monday 15 August 2011

Listening to God in Silence

“We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature – trees, flowers, grass – grow in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls.” Mother Teresa

Where do you go to find God? How often do you go there to meet him? What is your feeling like each time you go there? Peaceful? Excited? Afraid? Relaxed?  Happy? In what kind of environment do you like to meet God?  Noisy but boisterous? Serene and meditative. What do you want to be seeing when you are listening to God? Objects of saintly nature? Plane and undiluted? Do you talk to God more than you listen to Him?

You can meet God anywhere anytime.  He is the God of the silence as well as the God of noise.  He is the God of everything that is natural. But to hear God, you need the moments of silence. You need to be in the quiet. You need the space and time. Space +Time + Quiet = God. Some people find it hard to maintain some moments of silence. God is not in a hurry. He can wait as long as it takes you to find the space and moment of silence. The art of finding the space and moment of silence is a learnable skill. With loads of distraction here and there all the time, it can be hard for most of us to hear God. It is easy to talk to Him than to listen to and actually hear him.

For me, I have learned to meet and recognise God even in everything I do. I see God in the food I eat, in the water I drink, in my children, in my wife. I see God in the television programme I watch every day, in the car I drive, in the air I breathe in and out, in the shirt I put on and in just everything that is good or bad. I see God in everything I do from the moment I wake up in the morning until the time I retire to my bed in the night.

You can start to listen to and hear what God is saying to you by learning to listen more and talking less. When you are eating, you meditate on God’s providential power for humankind and remember those who have nothing to eat. When you put on your clothes, you meditate on God’s divine protection over you and you remember those who are naked. When you are drinking water from the tap, you medicate over God’s blessings and remember those who thirst for even a drop. When you have your children around you, you do not take them for granted. You meditate over the gifts and remember those who are still asking God for the fruit of the womb. When you retire to your bed in the night, you meditate over the provision of your shelter and remember the homeless. When you open your mind’s eyes, you will see God in just anything all around you. God tried to use those objects or subjects to speak to you. He only wants you to be silence and notice. That is the only way you can hear Him.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers